Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jim Cone Jim Cone is offline

Default Count the number of names in a column

To confirm, I have a copy of an article from something called "Inside
Microsoft Office 95" dated September 1996 that covers a formula for
counting unique value. A footnote states: "The formula presented
in this article came from David Hagar, ..."
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message ...
The unique count formula used here was I believe first created as sum array
formula by
former MVP David Hager
=SUM(1/COUNTIF(A1:A100,A1:A100))
after that some things have been added to it with sumproduct etc but the
basic idea is the 1/COUNTIF(Range.Range)
There was another formula used at the same time using FREQUENCY

Peo Sjoblom