Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
PCLIVE PCLIVE is offline

Default Count the number of names in a column

Ron,

I'm trying to understand your formula.
For some reason, using the data provided by the OP, I get a #DIV/0! error.
However, the COUNTIF portion gives the correct answer when used by itself
without the SUMPRODUCT.
Also, what purpose is served by the [&""] at the end? It seems to give the
same answer with or without that.

Thanks,
Paul

--

"Ron Coderre" wrote in message
Try something like this:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10<"")/COUNTIF(A1:A10,A1:A10&""))

Adjust the range reference to suit your situation

Does that help?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2003, WinXP

"James" wrote:

I have a worksheet that lists names in one column. Is there a formula
that'll
calculate the number of people represented? For example, column A lists:

Fred
Tony
Fred
Fred
Max

The five cells represent 3 people. I'm looking for a formula that'll tell
me
the list represents 3 people.

Thanks for your help!