Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Karen Karen is offline

Default If/Then Statement

Pete,

Please forgive my confusion. What extra symbols?

Thanks, Karen

"Pete_UK" wrote:

You need to go in and edit the formula in the CF panel - you can see
that Excel (trying to be helpful) has adding some extra " symbols that
are not needed. Get rid of these and it should work how you want it
to.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Aug 10, 9:10 pm, Karen wrote:
Thanks Pete - Someone I work with changed a formula.

This is what I have:
Column E: Can have a 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5
Column G: Date
Column N: CF Formula: ="AND(O1="""",N1<=TODAY())" ---- red
Formula in cell N1 ---- =IF(E2<4,SUM(G2+16),IF(L2="CSI",SUM(G2+16),"N/A"))
Column O = CF (Cell value is: =$P$2)

At this point, If I enter a date in column O, I want the date (it could be
both black or red) in column N to revert to or stay black.

Right now, column N is not turning red when it's <= today and column O is
blank.

Sorry, I'm confused

"Pete_UK" wrote:
Hi Karen,

I've just tried it out and it seems to work how you want it, i.e.:

O1 empty, N1 less than or equal to today ---- red
O1 empty, N1 greater than today --- black
O1 not empty, N1 less than or equal to today --- black
O1 not empty, N1 greater than today --- black

This seems to be a correct interpretation of what you requested.

What's happening in your spreadsheet when you try the new formula with
the 4 variations of O1 and N1 listed above?

Pete

On Aug 10, 5:50 pm, Karen wrote:
Thank you again for your help and time. I must be doing something wrong. I
used the formula you suggested and it's not working as planned.
The scenario is:
Column N contains a date
Right now there's CF in column N - The formula is: =N1<=TODAY() - The date
will format to red
If I enter a date in column O, I want the date (it could be both black or
red) in column N to revert to or stay black.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated, Karen

"Pete_UK" wrote:

I think you mean that if there is a date in O1 (any date?) then this
will over-ride the other choice, but if O1 is empty you want the
comparison with TODAY as you already have it. If that is the case,
then try this as the formula:

=AND(O1="",N1<=TODAY())

Hope this helps.

Pete- Hide quoted text -