Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
kojaks43 kojaks43 is offline

Default increase number of items shown in drop down list?

Tim, I think you answered another question and placed it on mine.
I am trying to have a data validation box open so all the available options
are visible. I seem to remember to being able to enlarge the depth of the
drop down to include all variables in 2003, but not in 2007.

"Tim" wrote:

I am running Windows XP and dont have your problem. When I opened an excel
2003 file in excel 2007 I found that it takes longer to open the file without
having Excel 2007 already running (20-60 seconds).

The solution to this problem is easy and does not require any additional
software other than the standard Microsoft Windows Explorer.
1. Open Windows Explorer (explorer.exe)
2. Select Tools | Folder Options from the menu
3. Go to the File Types tab
4. Select list item XLS (Microsoft Office Excel 97-2003 Worksheet) and click
on Advanced. If the €śApplication used to perform action:€ť field the default
value should be €śC:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE€ť /e€ť.
Change this to €śC:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE€ť €ś%1€ł.
Remember to enclose the full excel.exe path and %1 in parenthesis. Since
Windows 95 this is a way to escape spaces in file names; %1 will return the
file name of that file that is being opened by double-clicking.You can
uncheck €śUse DDE€ť but Microsoft Office Excel 2007 will bring it back to what
you see above when you next open it.

5. Just confirm (hit €śOK€ť) on all the Microsoft Windows Explorer dialogs and
next time you open a Excel 2003 file in Excel 2007 without having it already
running you wont have to wait! Problem solved!

You can try to check if this solution will solve your problem with windows
Vista.

Good Luck,

Tim

"kojaks43" wrote:

Using Excel 2007 - Home edition.

Created a list and placed drop down using data validation.
The drop down window shows some of the entries with a scroll bar. Can I
increase the size of the drop down so the scroll bar goes away?

Thanks