Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Chris S Chris S is offline

Default How to keep category and value axes the same

On Aug 11, 3:56 pm, Del Cotter wrote:
On Sat, 11 Aug 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Chris S said:

On Aug 11, 11:43 am, Del Cotter wrote:
I am currently trying to chart two series: problem is one series is
a category series and the other is a value series.
If you have only one chart to do, then right-click on the Value x-axis,
select Format Axis.. Scale, then set the Minimum and Maximum

Thanks Del, but unfortunately my problem is the latter: many many
charts

It sounds like you need VBA, sorry. In another universe, I'd like to
think Excel would have a check box for "Make scale limits exact on
maximum and minimum". Then you could have dummy data to force the limits
of the x-axis to be a range of your choice. if you try to do that with
the present system, I believe there's a complicated algorithm that sets
the size of the scale bar.

Alternatively, have you considered building your histogram from an Area
Chart that uses a date scale, and your vertical lines from a Line Chart
that uses the same date scale? That feels like it could work. You just
have to be careful to create your histogram bars out of rectangular
areas, and have a large date range (a bit less than 3,000,000 days) for
precision.

The histogram bin labels would be a third line series, an invisible
dummy series carrying data labels.

--
Del Cotter

Thanks Del, I will try your date series suggestion, if not, VBA here I
come!