Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Chris S Chris S is offline

Default How to keep category and value axes the same

On Aug 9, 8:51 pm, "Mike Middleton" wrote:
Chris -

For an example of combining a Column chart type and an XY (Scatter) chart
type, see the Histogram page athttp://www.treeplan.com.

It may give you some ideas for solving your particular problem.

- Mikehttp://www.MikeMiddleton.com

"Chris S" wrote in message

ups.com...

Hi

I am currently trying to chart two series:

the first is series where the value are percentages and the categories
are number ranges (e.g. "1 to 5", "6 to 10", "11 to 15", etc...). i am
formatting this series as a column chart.

the second is a scatter series where the y value are always 100% and
the x values are numbers (e.g. 1.5, 2.2, 3.5, 4.1, etc...). i am
formatting this series as an scatter chart.

putting those together is easy: two series, one of which is an xy
scatter.

problem is one series is a category series and the other is a value
series.

so if i put both on the primary x-axis, both data sets sit side by
side in the chart and excel uses categories for the x-axis.

and if i put one series on the primary x-axis and the other on the
secondary x-axis, they do superimpose (which is what I am trying to
do), but the scales of the 2 x-axis is completely different (because
one is a category and the other a value axis).

Anyone know how I can solve this without using vba??? i.e. have a
value x-axis and a category x-axis with matching auto scales?

Many thanks and kudos to anywone with a solution here!

Hi Mike - thanks for this. The page you pointed me to got me part of
the way to my solution.

The one thing I am still trying to do is to have primary and secondary
axes using the same intervals, max and min values automatically, as
opposed to the manula method in you page.

What I am trying to achieve is a histogram of frequency distribution
(column series), just as you have in your page, but with the second
series (the scatter series) ther to show average and standard
deviations of the data sets as vertical lines - i.e. the scales of
both series have to be same, and since the data sets changes
dynamically (i.e. intervals, max and min vary), I have to ba bale to
do this without manually setting x-scale values.

Do you know how to do this?