Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Ridgeway Bill Ridgeway is offline

Default Hiding Data

"Excel Help!" wrote in message
I created a spreadsheet that I want to share. It allows users to enter
personal data. Is it possible that a user can enter their data and not be
able to view all of the data of another person? Example: The user can
enter
data in the next available row (all required data), but can't view the SSN
of
user 1? Thanks for any help.

User 1 -Roll 1: Name; Address: SSN
User 2 -Roll 2:

There are various ways to hide information in a worksheet. They are not all
practical and will not deter the determined or adventurous. Indeed even
password protection can be cracked in minutes.

Change text AND background colour to, say, white.

Click on <Format<Sheet<Hide

Reduce all columns width and rows height to 1.

Why not all three (and any others that come to mind)? That'll keep them
guessing for a while!

Always keep a backup so that, if anyone broke in and changed information, by
accident or intent, you can restore the situation very easily. It is good
to trust colleagues but it is also good to be aware that they may not all be
trustworthy.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions