Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Mike Middleton Mike Middleton is offline

Default How to keep category and value axes the same

Chris -

For an example of combining a Column chart type and an XY (Scatter) chart
type, see the Histogram page at http://www.treeplan.com.

It may give you some ideas for solving your particular problem.

- Mike
http://www.MikeMiddleton.com

"Chris S" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

I am currently trying to chart two series:

the first is series where the value are percentages and the categories
are number ranges (e.g. "1 to 5", "6 to 10", "11 to 15", etc...). i am
formatting this series as a column chart.

the second is a scatter series where the y value are always 100% and
the x values are numbers (e.g. 1.5, 2.2, 3.5, 4.1, etc...). i am
formatting this series as an scatter chart.

putting those together is easy: two series, one of which is an xy
scatter.

problem is one series is a category series and the other is a value
series.

so if i put both on the primary x-axis, both data sets sit side by
side in the chart and excel uses categories for the x-axis.

and if i put one series on the primary x-axis and the other on the
secondary x-axis, they do superimpose (which is what I am trying to
do), but the scales of the 2 x-axis is completely different (because
one is a category and the other a value axis).

Anyone know how I can solve this without using vba??? i.e. have a
value x-axis and a category x-axis with matching auto scales?

Many thanks and kudos to anywone with a solution here!