Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default How can I test if a cell is empty?

Did the cells used to contain formulas that evaluated to ""?

Like
=if(a17,"ok","")

And did you convert those formulas to values?

If yes...

Saved from a previous post:

If you want to see what's left in that cell after you convert ="" to values,
try:
Tools|Options|Transition Tab|Toggle Transition Navigation keys on.

Then select one of those cells and look at the formula bar. You'll see an
apostrophe. (Don't forget to toggle the setting to off.)

When I want to clean up this detritus, I do this:

Select the range (ctrl-a a few times to select all the cells)
Edit|Replace
what: (leave blank)
with: $$$$$
replace all

Immediately followed by:
Edit|Replace
what: $$$$$
with: (leave blank)
replace all

Victor Delta wrote:

"Victor Delta" wrote in message
"CLR" wrote in message
Check out this nefty add-in from Chip Pearson........it clearly
identifies
the invisible control characters.
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Once I know what's in the cells presumably I can then use that with the
conditional formatting?

This is very odd! I installed Cell View only to discover that the cells in
question are indeed completely empty!

However, in this condition, they do not allow ISBLANK to be true. This only
happens when you select the cell and press backspace followed by enter.

This doesn't seem to make sense. Can anyone understand the logic (or
illogic?) of this - and how I can overcome the problem please?

Dave Peterson