Jon Peltier

The format is not "in" the cells with the value. The display format is independent
of how you enter the data or how it is displayed in the formula bar, after you've
initially entered a value and Excel has applied its initial default formatting.

When you format a cell, one of the tabs in the Format dialog is Number. Use one of
the built in time formats, or design your own Custom time format. Otherwise, you're
allowing Excel to guess what's your favorite format, based on how it interprets what
you've entered.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

brhicks wrote:

Yes, I am using custom formatting. The custom format I use in these
cells is h:mm But if you edit the value, and tab out of the cell, the
formatting reverts to some long, standard format. It seems like a bug
to me.

--
brhicks