Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John Bundy John Bundy is offline

Default How to sample data without returning duplicates?

You are probably using the random sample portion, a random sample can not be
take from data while ignoring what has been taken, it wouldn't be random. You
will have to use another method to get what you want.
--
-John
is helpful.

"Ralph E Brown" wrote:

I have installed the analysis toolpak and am using the Data Analysis -
Sampling feature. I have two issues I am trying to resolve:

1) Most important is when I run a sample of my range, the process will
return duplicate values in the sample. For example, if I have values of 1 -
100, and I take a sample of 10 itmes, it may return the number 45 several
times. Is there a way to prevent this, so that every value returned appears
only once in the sample?

2) The data I want to sample is alpha, not numeric. However the Sampling
feature apparently only works with numeric input data. How can I get around
this limitation.

To sum up, I need a sampling method that works on text fields and only
selects an item once for inclusion in the sample.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Ralph