Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave F[_2_] Dave F[_2_] is offline

Default return an empty string in VBA

I get quotes appearing in the cell whether I use four quotes or six
quotes. Maybe it would help if I included the entire macro...there
may be something else in there affecting this portion of code. So
here's the entire macro:

Option Explicit
Sub CalculateWACC()
Dim MyString1 As String, MyString2 As String
Dim MyString3 As String, MyString4 As String
Dim MyString5 As String, R As Variant
Worksheets("Analysis").Range("A1:A7").ClearContent s
'Prompts the user for values to input to calculate the weighted
average
'cost of capital (WACC), based on the formula
'c = (E/K) * y + (D/K) * b(1 - t)
'whe K = D + E
'c = weighted average cost of capital (%)
'y = required or expected return on equity (%)
'b = required or expected return on borrowings (%)
't = corporate tax rate (%)
'D = total debt and leases (currency)
'E = total equity and equity equivalents (currency)
'K = total capital invested in the going concern (currency)
MyString1 = Application.InputBox("enter required or expected return on
equity")
MyString2 = Application.InputBox("enter required or expected return on
debt")
MyString3 = Application.InputBox("enter corporate tax rate")
MyString4 = Application.InputBox("enter total debt and leases")
MyString5 = Application.InputBox("enter total equity and equity
equivalents")
Worksheets("Analysis").Range("A1") = MyString1
Worksheets("Analysis").Range("A2") = MyString2
Worksheets("Analysis").Range("A3") = MyString3
Worksheets("Analysis").Range("A4") = MyString4
Worksheets("Analysis").Range("A5") = MyString5
Worksheets("Analysis").Range("A6").Select
ActiveCell.Formula = "=Sum(A4 + A5)"
Worksheets("Analysis").Range("A7").Select
ActiveCell.Formula = "=(A5/A6)*A1+(A4/A6)*A2*(1-A3)"
Application.EnableEvents = False
For Each R In Range("A1:A7")
If R.Value = False Then R.Value = """"""
Next
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

On Aug 7, 12:24 pm, wrote:
Sandy, I was trying to show Dave how to get an empty cell, not how to
obtain "" in a cell, which is why I said to use 4 sets of double
inverted commas, not 6.

Hopefully that clears the confusion!

Peter

On 7 Aug, 17:18, "Sandy Mann" wrote:

Hi Dave,

I was actually replying to "permarbro" who said to use 4 sets of quotes to
get "". I was saying, as you said, I need 6 sets to return ""

But I am confused now as to what it is that you want. When I run your code,
(XL97), I get nothing showing in the cells not "" which is what you said you
get.

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Dave F" wrote in message

oups.com...

Not sure what you mean in your post. Putting in 6 double quote marks
returns ""

Dave

On Aug 7, 11:51 am, "Sandy Mann" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

Instead of = "", you need to write = """"
So there are 4 sets of double inverted commas rather than the usual 2.

I need 6 sets to return "" ie """ returns "

I was assuming that the OP wanted an empty string as in IF(A1=10,""......

his code returns what I would call an empty string as it is - LEN(A1) is
zero and =ISTEXT(A1) is FALSE

--
HTH

wrote in message

oups.com...

Instead of = "", you need to write = """"
So there are 4 sets of double inverted commas rather than the usual 2.

Hope this helps,

Peter

On 7 Aug, 16:31, Dave F wrote:
I'm trying to use the following code to return an empty string in a
range of cells if any value in the range is FALSE:

Application.EnableEvents = False
For Each R In Range("A1:A7")
If R.Value = False Then R.Value = ""
Next
Application.EnableEvents = True

The problem is this code returns the actual quote marks "" in the
cells, not an empty string. R is set as a variant.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Dave- Hide quoted text -