Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sandy Mann Sandy Mann is offline

Default return an empty string in VBA

Hi Dave,

I was actually replying to "permarbro" who said to use 4 sets of quotes to
get "". I was saying, as you said, I need 6 sets to return ""

But I am confused now as to what it is that you want. When I run your code,
(XL97), I get nothing showing in the cells not "" which is what you said you
get.

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Dave F" wrote in message
ups.com...
Not sure what you mean in your post. Putting in 6 double quote marks
returns ""

Dave

On Aug 7, 11:51 am, "Sandy Mann" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

Instead of = "", you need to write = """"
So there are 4 sets of double inverted commas rather than the usual 2.

I need 6 sets to return "" ie """ returns "

I was assuming that the OP wanted an empty string as in IF(A1=10,""......

his code returns what I would call an empty string as it is - LEN(A1) is
zero and =ISTEXT(A1) is FALSE

--
HTH

wrote in message

ps.com...

Instead of = "", you need to write = """"
So there are 4 sets of double inverted commas rather than the usual 2.

Hope this helps,

Peter

On 7 Aug, 16:31, Dave F wrote:
I'm trying to use the following code to return an empty string in a
range of cells if any value in the range is FALSE:

Application.EnableEvents = False
For Each R In Range("A1:A7")
If R.Value = False Then R.Value = ""
Next
Application.EnableEvents = True

The problem is this code returns the actual quote marks "" in the
cells, not an empty string. R is set as a variant.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Dave- Hide quoted text -