Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default Linking data from various worksheets

Mick,

I don't understand why the second formula doesn't work. Put this in sheet 1
and drag down, it will look for a match in column A of sheet 2 and return the
value in column 8 if a match is found.

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A$1:H$10,8,FALSE)

Mike

"Mick Seamarks" wrote:

Mike,

Sorry to be vague, it is another worksheet.

The unique values are in column A in both worksheets and I need to pick up
the value from column H in the second worksheet and place it into the first
worksheet. Not all the records are in the 2nd spreadsheets (1362 in first,
1100 in second) so i cannot simply do a direct link.

Tried the suggestion, but all rows return #Value!

"Mike H" wrote:

Hi,

I'm confused, are you trying to do a lookup in another workbook or worksheet?

for another workbook try:
=VLOOKUP(A1,[Book2]Sheet1!$A$1:$H$10,8,FALSE)

for another worksheet in the same book try:-
=VLOOKUP(Sheet2!$A$1:$H$10,8,FALSE)

Mike

"Mick Seamarks" wrote:

I have a master worksheet and column A contains a unique value for each
record. I need to be able to pick up values from other workbooks provided
there is an entry in the worksheet for the same unique value. For example A1
in worksheet 1 is 12345 and A1 in worksheet 2 is 12345 and I need to pick up
the entry from worksheet 2 column H (8).

I can do a VLOOKUP and confirm the there is a corresponding value in
worksheet 2 column 1 but how do I get the data item from worksheet 2 column 8?

Many thanks in advance