Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bernard Liengme Bernard Liengme is offline

Default Coloring of cell when entering data

Sounds like a Conditional Formatting task
Suppose the 'test name' goes in A1; and your data is in A2:B2000 (surname in
A)
Select A2:A2000 (or A2:B2000)
Use Format | Conditional Formatting
In dialog, use Formula Is; =A2=$A$1, click Format button on dialog, open
Pattern tab and select colour as needed
best wishes

--
Bernard Liengme
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme

"Qisme615" wrote in message
I have to input client's last and first names ( 2 different columns). I
want
to be able to type the last name and each cell in the last name column
will
change color automatically when I type. I know how to color the whole
column
but not this method. A coworker was able to do it but she left and I can't
ask her. Hope I made sense, if someone could guide me I would appreciate
it.

Thank you.