Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Default vlookup -- Upper case and Lower case text

One alternative for a case sensitive lookup ..

Assuming returns required from B1:B10, lookup col values in A1:A10
In D1 down are the lookup values, eg: i, I
Placed in say, E1, array-entered*:
=INDEX(B$1:B$10,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(FIND(D1,A$1:A$ 10)),0))
Copy E1 down
*press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to confirm the formula
--
Max
Singapore
"teec_detroit" wrote:
How can you differentiate between upper case and lower case text in a vlookup
function? For me, vlookup returns the first value when I have te last
variable set to "FALSE". I have one row as "I 18" and the next row as "i
4". When I use vlookup for I, the result is 18. When I use vlooup for i,
the result is 18. If I put "i 4" above "I 18", both results are 4. If I set
the last variable to TRUE, the result is always the value of the lower case
"4" regardless of the row order.