Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\) Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\) is offline

Default Possible to: Tick or cross off dates as they go by?

TODAY is a built-in spreadsheet function which returns the current date (the
NOW function I posted in my reply, also a built-in spreadsheet function,
returns the current date and time)... the open and closing parentheses are
required syntax for these functions (there are no arguments to these
function so the parentheses are empty). The < symbol is the "less than"
operator (which is what you requested). For conditional formatting, you
specify the starting cell (the A1) and Excel automatically performs the copy
down through the cell you had selected when you called the conditional
formatting dialog. Hence, the A1 becomes (behind the scenes) A2 in the
second cell down, A3 in the cell below that and so on throughout the cells
you had selected. Each one of those cell's content will be tested to see if
it is less than "today" and, if it is, the condition you specified (red text
in this case) will be applied.

Rick

"Ben" wrote in message
Thanks for the quick reply and excellent advice. It is perfect!

So I can learn to understand it. I know what '=A1' is for but can you
please tell me what the '<' and '()' are mean?

"Joerg Mochikun" wrote in message
That's what the conditional format is made for.
Assuming that the date is in A1, choose as condition1 "Formula is" and
input =A1<TODAY()

Now select the format for this condition (e.g. red text).

Copy/paste this formula to all your other cells containing dates (easily
done with the format painter)

Cheers,

Joerg Mochikun

"Ben" wrote in message
For example (lets say all cells have black text):

If today is 06 Aug 2007, nothing happens, all cells have black text. Go
sleep... now its 07 Aug 2007.

Is there a way to cross/tick off the previous days automatically with a
formula or conditional format? I want to make the text turn to red, eg.
in
our above example 06 Aug 2007 should now turn red because we are now 07
Aug
2007.

Thanks in advance for some replies!! (I hope)