Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pam Pam is offline

Default Format numbers/time format

This is perfect! Thanks so much.

I understand that this seems like a VERY strange thing to do, but I'm
helping out someone and they have assured me this is what they want! Go
figure!

THANKS SO MUCH! I learned something very helpful today!

"bj" wrote:

use a helper cell
=text(A1,"m:ss")
copy the helper cell and select A1 and paste special values
delete helper cell

this will give a text value without the hour.

are you sure this is what you want?
what do you want when it is 1:15:33?
is it going into access as time or text?

"Pam" wrote:

We have been getting an Excel file from a vendor that had numbers in a
General format. This worked great for our purposes (exporting to Access).

Example:
Actual contents of A1: 58.36
Display of A1: 58.36
This is what we want....

This time around the file has been sent to us and the numbers are not in
General format, but a Custom format that looks like this:

[=0.0416666666666666][h]:mm:ss;[m]:ss

Actual contents of A1: 12:05:29 AM
Display of A1: 5:29
We want the display of 5:29 to be the real contents of the cell. Not the
time format that is currently there.

When we change the format to General, we get:

Contents of A1: 12:05:29 AM
Display of A1: 0.00380787
So, just changing it to General isn't the 'magic' that we need.

Any ideas?

BTW: The vendor is disavowing any knowledge of their actions! We are still
trying to work with them.

TIA!