Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Man Man is offline

Default Formulas

thank you so much I really appreciate it. I will give it a go and will let
you know how it went.

Thanks again.

"JLatham" wrote:

To do it manually, without any code, start out like this:

Open both workbooks. In the workbook that you want to 'echo' the
information in, choose the cell where you want it to appear and type in an =
symbol to start a formula. Choose the other workbook (the one you'll just be
typing in to), then choose the sheet where the information is or will be, and
choose the cell where it is or will be. Press the [Enter] key. Now there is
a link in the first (echo) book to the primary copy. At this time it will
look something like
=[sourceWorkbook.xls]'Sheet name'!$A$1
if you close the main workbook, the path to it will be placed into that cell
automatically by Excel.

If you need a few more cells, you can repeat the process for each. If you
would like to echo several cells, as on a single row, edit that first formula
to remove the $ symbols from the cell address. Then you can fill (look in
Excel Help for Fill Data) the formula across or down the sheet and it will
create multiple links to nearby cells automatically also.

Once you've set it up, you can close the source workbook, it does not have
to be open to see the data in the linked book. You can even link several
different pages from several different workbooks into the one book in this
fashion. Any time you open the workbook, the current information in the
source workbook will be available. You may have to allow it to "update
links", but there's even a setting you can make that will bypass that prompt.

The methods Tim offered are good alternatives under certain circumstances.

"Man" wrote:

I was wondering if there is any formula so that I can type information in one
workbook and have that information also appear in another workbook? (So as
that I don't have to type it in twice) and if so do I have to have both
workbooks open to do this?? Thank you