Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mattgoof2005 mattgoof2005 is offline

Default Can't Group Dates in Pivot Table

As another test, I just tried making it smaller and cut it all the way to 2
rows of data and still could not group the dates. Unless the 25 different
2-row combinations I tried were all corrupt, I have absolutely no idea what's
going on.

"mattgoof2005" wrote:

Jim, that was my first guess. I had originally used a named list, so I tried
converting it back to a range and defining it by $A$1:$O$24807, but I still
get the same error.

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

Check your range. As a guess your pivot table includes blank cells at the end
of your data range. Pull up th epivot table wizard and hit back to access the
Data Range and check that it includes only non blank data.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"mattgoof2005" wrote:

I just used a =if(isblank(A2),1,0) and drug it over an area equal to that of
the data and its sum was zero, so it's safe to assume there are no blanks
anywhere in the data.

I also multiplied the date field by 2 and then averaged the column (since
this would return a #value error if any of the dates were text) and got a
valid date back.

Therefore, I think it's safe to assume that the conditions you specified for
failure are not met.

I've also noticed that there is a (blank) option under every field-arrow in
the pivot table.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

If you have any text or empty cells in that date field, you won't be able to
group it.

mattgoof2005 wrote:

I have a huge list(24808RX14C) forming a pivot table. For some reason, when
I right-click on the dates and go to grouping, it says "Cannot group this
selection." There is only 1 date in each month (cost collection day), but I
would like to group it by Year-Month. Any ideas on why this is happening?

--

Dave Peterson