Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
PCLIVE PCLIVE is offline

Default Question Involving COUNTIF and Possibly DCOUNTA

One way maybe:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A11="N"),--(B1:B11=4)+(B1:B11=5))

HTH,
Paul

"Derek" wrote in message
Hi, first time poster, long time reader here.

My question maybe quite basic so please bear with me.

What I am trying to do is to count the number of "N"s in a column that
happen to be in the same row with another column that shows a 4 or 5.

To illustrate:

N 5
N 4
N 5

N 1

As you can see above, both the first and second column can contain blanks.
The formula I am trying to get is to count the number of "Y"s in column 1
(already know how) and add that to the number of "N"s which correspond
with a
4 or 5 in column 2 (column 2 is only filled if column 1 shows an N, and
contains one of the numbers between 1 to 5)

I hope that made sense.

Thanks in advance for your help!