Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fiona Fiona is offline

Default Look Up

Hi Roger, I want a formula, say in D3, to equal C2 if any of the cells A1, A2
or A3 contain C1
Thank you

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Fiona

Lookup cannot work in this way.
Can you just describe exactly what you want to achieve e.g.
If the value in C1 is found in column A or in Column B, then place the value
from C2 in column D.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Fiona" wrote in message
Thanks Roger, sorry if I was a bit unclear, the formula I want to work is
=LOOKUP(A1:A3,C1:C3,D1:D3)
As i want the formula to check 3 cells instead of 1

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Fiona

Not sure I fully understand your question, but does the following do what
you want.
=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(C1,A1:A3&B1:B3)),C2,"")

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Fiona" wrote in message
Hi, I am trying to get a lookup formula to read 3 cells in one row,
then
compare it to my look up list.

e.g, A1 is South A2 is East, A3 is London, B1 is London, B2 is England,
B3
is UK

In C1 I have London and C2 I have LOND.

I want my formula to equal C2 if any of the cells A1 - A3 equal C1, and
so
on.

Thank you in advance
Fiona