Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sandy Mann Sandy Mann is offline

Default Multiple "lookup_value"

"Harlan Grove" wrote in message

When have I ever shied away from a debatable point?!

You Harlan - never!!

to catch errors all the time. Consistency is a virtue

So your argument is that because SUM() ignores text, all functions should
ignore text?

Perhaps if we are using it as a SUM() function, but here are we not in fact
using, (or misusing), it as a VLOOKUP() which does return errors at times.
So in that instance is it not more consistent to return errors than to
ignore them?

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Harlan Grove" wrote in message
"Sandy Mann" wrote...
Harlan Grove" wrote in message
I'm not a purist about separating all terms in SUMPRODUCT, but there's
some value in separating the values summed from the criteria, so

Debatable point. There seems to be a trend for people in the NG's to
recommend comma separation which, I have read, is slighly faster but I
have always been of the opinion that I would rather see an error returned
than a zero which may go unnoticed. . . .

When have I ever shied away from a debatable point?!

Depends on whether one wants a numeric result from

=SUMPRODUCT((Condition1)*...*(ConditionN),RangeToB eSummed)

when

=SUM(RangeToBeSummed)

produces a numeric result. If so, then better to use commas. If not, then
it begs the question whether simple SUM formulas should always be changed

=SUMPRODUCT(--RangeToBeSummed)

to catch errors all the time. Consistency is a virtue.