Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernard Liengme Bernard Liengme is offline

Default Conditional formatting a range of cells.

Select the range A1:A5
Use Format | Conditional Formatting; set dialog to Formula Is and enter
=$A$3="T" and click the Format button; now on the Pattern tab select one of
the greens.
You can now add the next two conditions in like manner.

BTW; the correct way to refer to a single cell is A3 not A:3, We use to
colon for ranges as in A1:A3
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"DBane" wrote in message
I am working in the cell range of A:1 thru A:5. If cell A:3 contains the
letter T, I would like to have the whole range A:1 thru A:5 turn green. If
cell A:3 contains the letter D, the range turn brown. And last if A:3
contains the letter S, the range turn purple.