Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MartinW MartinW is offline

Default Excel Manipulation

Hi Baffled,

If you have to deal with multiple surnames it may be better to
do it like this.
With your names in column A.
B1: =MID(A1,1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)
C1: =MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,50)
Drag both formulae down to the end of your data.
Select all col B and col C data
Right click and copy, then right click again and paste values.
Then delete col A.
Repeat the process for the address part.

The formula in B1 will return anything to the left of the first space
The formula in C1 will return anything to the right of the first space

HTH
Martin

"Baffled" wrote in message
I have two columns on my excel sheet (13000 records)

Column A is: John Smith
I want to put the John in Column A and Smith in Column B

Column B is: 1240 Main Street
I want to put 1240 in Column C and Main Street in Column D

Do-able?