Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Toppers Toppers is offline

Default Trying to match up variables to a common list and confirm

Try in B2:

=ISNA(VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!$A:$B,2,0)),"",VLOOKUP(A2, Sheet2!A:B,2,0))

Copy down.

HTH

"cheryl" wrote:

I'm still playing with this but can't seem to get it to work. I am doing
something wrong, I just can't figure out what.

"Toppers" wrote:

=IF(COUNTIF($B$6:$B$130,A6),"x","")

"DebKnight56" wrote:

Cheryl, I think Matthew won this one - and you should only need a minor change!

Debbie

"cheryl" wrote:

I have a similiar problem.

I want to compare a single cell in sheet 1,column A with all cells in sheet
2, column A. If a match is found, place the information found in column B of
the match in column B of sheet 1.

If you get your answer, it may work for me as well (with modification).
Please let me know.

Thanks

"DebKnight56" wrote:

Thanks! Mike,
I appreciate your getting me closer to my goal! Now if I find A6 contained
in my list of variables, in B6-B130, and put the answer "x" in AB6, then, I
want to try to find A7 from that same list, B6-B130, and if it IS there, put
the x in AB7 or leave it blank if it is not. Then so on...But I do not
understand the part of the formula that will put the answer in the column I
want - It is still going into the row of the column B that I find it on and
not the row and column that I want it to go in. Please forgive the beginner
semantics!
Thanks,
Debbie

"Mike H" wrote:

Hi, Try this,

Finding a word from list in column B6-b130 to match word in A6. If there is a
match then place "x" in column AB6 - No match leave AB6 Blank.
then right on down the line:

=IF(B6=A$6,"x","")

Put this formula in AB6 and drag down to AB130

You other questions can be solved with this formula with the ranges modified.

Mike

"DebKnight56" wrote:

Finding a word from list in column B6-b130 to match word in A6. If there is a
match then place "x" in column AB6 - No match leave AB6 Blank.
then right on down the line:
Finding a word from list in column B6-b130 to match word in A7. If there is
a match then place "x" in column AB7 - No match leave AB7Blank.
Finding a word from list in column B6-b130 to match word in A8. If there is
a match then place "x" in column AB8 - No match leave AB8 Blank,
And so on.
Help new on job and short time! Thx anyone!