Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default vlookup returning a value in more than one cell

I think the first parameter in your VLOOKUP should be $F6, not G6 and
your table should cover Data!$A$93:$C$101. If you make these changes
to the formula in G6 then you can copy it to H6 and just change the
3rd parameter to 3 so you have two almost identical formulae:

G6: VLOOKUP($F6,Data!$A$93:$C$101,2,FALSE)
H6: VLOOKUP($F6,Data!$A$93:$C$101,3,FALSE)

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jul 26, 4:18 pm, LTaylor wrote:
The strangest thing is happening. My formula is:
VLOOKUP(G6,Data!$B$93:$C$101,2,FALSE)

Column A Column B Column C
93 At Work description 1 Products 1
94 Youth Bank description 2 Products 2
95 Mobile ATM description 3 Products 3
96 IDA description 4
Products 4

B93 is named AtWork
B94 is named YouthBank
B95 is named MobileATM
b96 is named IDA

The cells is C are not named

When I go to my form spreadsheet if I choose "At Work" from my data
validation list in column F what I want in column G comes up and in column H.
At Work is the first on the list. Then if I pick the second or third thing
on the list, Youth Bank or Mobile ATM, it only fills in Column G and I get
#VALUE in column H. But if I pick any thing on the list after the third
item, like IDA, it works again.

I have tried everything to see if I have something in the cells C94 and C95
that are making invalid.
What am I doing wrong?

"Alan Beban" wrote:
Gord Dibben wrote:
You need two VLOOKUP formulas in two cells.

uh-uh.

=VLOOKUP(D2, $A$2:$C$3,2,FALSE) entered in E2

=VLOOKUP(D2, $A$2:$C$3,3,FALSE) entered in F2

You missed my post of 2:00pm? The equivalent of

=VLOOKUP(D2, $A$2:$C$3,{2,3},FALSE) array entered in E2:F2

Alan Beban- Hide quoted text -