Sandy Mann

Hi ras711,

Well it doesn't work with me (Excel 97 SP2 on Windows XP Home)

=AVERAGE(IF(OpenData<0,OpenData,"")) array entered returns the correct
answer as Bob said but

=AVERAGE(IF("OpenData"<0,"OpenData","")) returns #VALUE! whether array or
straight entered and

=AVERAGE(IF("OpenData"<0,OpenData,"")) does return a number but it is the
average INCLUDING zeros.

Exactly what formula are you using?

Regards

Sandy
--
to e-mail direct replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk

"ras711" wrote in message
Hi Alan,

It's ras again! Discovered my problem. When I was using the range name
OpenData within the regular average function I had to place quotes around
OpenData otherwise I got a #VALUE error. Apparently by entering it as an
array formula as recommended by you the range name does not require the
quotes. It now works...Thanks Again!

"Alan Perkins" wrote:

Hi ras - enter this as an array formula (use ctrl+shift+enter instead of
just enter)
=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A9<0,A1:A9,""))

Alan P.

"ras711" wrote in message
Have set up a range named DataOpen. Within the range are numbers & 0.

Do
not
want to average the cells that contain 0's

Thank You!