Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pat Adams Pat Adams is offline

Default When I enter a formula, Excel shows the formula not the result

Neither worked - sorry. When I tried to re-create the problem, I seem to
have this problem only when working with templates created by others outside
of our company. I was wondering if this is peculiar to versionary
differences in Excel (we have Excel 2003) OR if there are security issues
embedded in these templates that prevents formulas from being entered/used.

"Pete_UK" wrote:

Does the sheet show the correct result when you press F9? If so, your
file is set for manual calculation. Go to Tools | Options |
Calculation (tab) and check Automatic. Save your file so that it will
be automatic when you next open it.

If not then the cell is probably pre-formatted to text. Changing the
format only comes into effect after the cell has been edited, so
double-click on that cell and then press <Enter.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jul 25, 9:02 pm, Pat Adams
wrote:
It's as if the cell were formatted for text, but it is formatted for numbers
(or date). When I go through the formula function (rather than straight
entering), I can see in the formula function dialogue box the desired result
- just can't get it in the cell!