Default Excel Contours - too small and stupid choice of colours

Hi,

I've started trying to use Excel's contour charts but the results are
very poor and I'm not too sure how to improve them.

a) There is always a massive gap around my chart. All I get is a
narrow rectangle in the middle of the screen with loads of empty white
space above and below it. How do I make it take up the whole screen?

b) The choice of colours is not great. How do I make it do something
more sensible, such as increasing the intensity as the values increase?
Thanks,

Anon.