Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RagDyeR RagDyeR is offline

Default SUM Function

Why not?

Simple ... I just didn't think about it!<bg

RD

"JMB" wrote in message
Why not

=SUM(INDEX(B:B,1):INDEX(B:B,6))

"Ragdyer" wrote:

BUT ... if you're *only* going to insert rows at *Row1*, you can try this
non-volatile formula:

=SUM(INDEX(B:B,ROWS($1:$1)):INDEX(B:B,ROWS($1:$6)) )

--
HTH,

RD

"Harlan Grove" wrote in message
"Shawn" wrote...
How do I stop the function from moving if I insert cells? For example,
if
my
function is SUM(B1:B6) and I insert cells it changes it to
SUM(B2:B7).....

I'd like it to stay SUM(B1:B6)

An obvious question is why would you insert cells in this range when
you
know you have formulas referring to it? There are often better
approaches
than frequent insertion or deletion.

Still, as an academic exercise, the simplest approach would be

=SUM(INDIRECT("B1:B6"))

The INDIRECT function is volatile, so this formula would recalculate
every
time anything triggers recalc. If you have lots of such formulas, it
could
noticeably slow recalculation.