GrayesGhost

Earl,

Maybe I don't know enough about Excell yet to word the question in a form
that is understandable. What I am trying to do is to copy some statistics
from several Workbooks that only contain a single work sheet. I want to
combine the worksheets from multiple Excell workbooks into seperate
worksheets in a single Workbook, and then get rid of all the original files.

I know I can open each workbook seperately, copy the data from that workbook
and paste it into seperate sheets in the file that I am compiling (that is
what I have been doing) but I know there has to be an easier way - such as
simply inserting the unopened file into a blank work sheet as I was able to
do in Quattro Pro.

(Menu: Insert/File/<filename) = Inserted the desired file into one or more
worksheets depending on whether or not the inserted file was a text file or
an existing Quattro Pro workbook.

I am now using MS Office 2000 Pro.

I don't want to go to the trouble of writing formulas, or linking the
current workbook to files that I am going to destroy once I have transfered
the data - But I don't know of any other way to word the question - I think I
pretty much have the answer anyway though - apparently Excell doesn't have
the feature that I am looking for.

Thanks again - GG

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

You haven't told us enough. If the other workbook contains a table, use
Data - Get external data. The process varies a bit with your release of
Excel. You never have to open the workbook, and can refresh the import to
reread the data at any time.

You can also create a link without ever having opened the workbook (though
it's easier if you do).
=[workbookname.xls]'Sheet 1'!A1

Now copy this down and across, and you have the data. Once done, you never
have to reopen the other workbook. A macro could parse the data, if
necessary, put it where you want it, and do any other tasks.

Without knowing more, that's the best I can suggest.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"GrayesGhost" wrote in message
If an unopened Excel Workbook only contains a single worksheet, is it
possible to import the data from that worksheet into another Workbook that
is
open, without having to open the other file?