Myrna Larson

I suggested formulas, too, but he rejected that with the statement that he
doesn't want to link the workbooks. I guess he's missing a feature from
Quattro (or Lotus?) that he used frequently.

It would be fairly simple to program what he wants.

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 23:19:00 -0500, "Earl Kiosterud"
wrote:

You haven't told us enough. If the other workbook contains a table, use
Data - Get external data. The process varies a bit with your release of
Excel. You never have to open the workbook, and can refresh the import to
reread the data at any time.

You can also create a link without ever having opened the workbook (though
it's easier if you do).
=[workbookname.xls]'Sheet 1'!A1

Now copy this down and across, and you have the data. Once done, you never
have to reopen the other workbook. A macro could parse the data, if
necessary, put it where you want it, and do any other tasks.

Without knowing more, that's the best I can suggest.