Jerry W. Lewis

=COUNTIF(C3:F3,"X")&"/"&4-COUNTIF(C3:F3,"-")

will give you a text string that looks like you want, but if you want to
do math with the result then this will be problematic, since Excel
instists on evaluating text like "1/2" etc. as a date.

Jerry

Horatio J. Bilge wrote:

Bob,

There are always 4 days per week that I'm looking at, but I don't always
want to count 4 days.

For example, if one day falls on a holiday, then it doesn't count for
attendance (I'm indicating that with a "-" on the spreadsheet). During a
holiday week, if someone is present on 2 days, their attendance for that
week should be 2/3, rather than 2/4, since the holiday doesn't count.

Likewise, if there are 2 non-attendance days in a week, and someone is
present on 2 days, their attendance for that week should be 2/2, rather than
2/4 or 1/1.

Thanks,
Horatio

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message

Horatio,

If you are always checking just 4 days, why not just use a formula of

=COUNTIF(C3:F3,"X")/4

with a format of 0/4

--

HTH

RP

"Horatio J. Bilge" wrote in message

I formatted a cell as a fraction, and would like to designate the
denominator.

I am recording attendance, where "X" = present, blank = absent, "-" =

(not

counted in attendance). I used the COUNTIF function to analyze

attendance,

so if a person was present on 2 out of 4 days, the result is "2/4"

=COUNTIF(Attendance!C3:F3,"X")/(4-COUNTIF(Attendance!C3:F3,"-"))

I want the denominator to always be equal to the denominator of my

formula

(in the example below, 2). The result should look like column F.

A B C D E F
1 NAME Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4
2 John Smith X - - 1/2
3 Jane Johnson X X - - 2/2