Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Converting Letter to Numeric Value

Just subtract 64 from the value that CODE gives you to yield 1-5 for A-
E. Copy the formula down.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jul 19, 11:38 pm, Larry wrote:
I have imported a text file with study participant responses that were coded
A,B,C,D,E. In order to conduct a statistical analysis I need to convert
these to numeric values A=1, etc. I went to the CODE function but this codes
A=65, etc.and only codes one cell at a time. What function or formula is
necessary to code for my desired values and accomplished for the dataset.
Thanks.
--
Larry