Hi Biff,
Thanks for replying so quickly! I know.. the more I tried to explain,
the weird-er it got...Let give it another shot:

I have columns A and B. Both have blank cells A1 and B1 with no
formatting. Cell A1 currently has conditional formatting of

=IF(ISBLANK(B1),(A1-TODAY())<120)

What I'm shooting for is when I enter a date of 9/1/04 into the blank
cell A1, I want the condition to trigger because 1) it is over 120 days
ago and 2) B1 is blank. Cell A1 will then format into a green
background with the date in white text. Later, when I enter 9/14/04
into B1, the condition is no longer true, so A1 goes back to it's no
format look (how/why it is doing that, I don't know).

What I'm experiencing is when I apply the conditional formatting to
cell A1, as soon as I hit OK on the conditional formatting dialog box,
the cell background turns green without me entering a date. I'm trying
to figure out why the condition is true without me entering a date for
it to evaluate against. The only thing I can figure is that my ISBLANK
function is returning true and turning the cell green without me
entering a date.

Thanks for reading my rambling...
Russ