Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Thomas Dave Thomas is offline

Default help on averaging function

Once again, read the original message. In my response to it, I gave Treesy
what Treesy asked for. I don't care about your world of negatives, positives
and zeros. So calm down, read the original message and you'll see that my
response provided the answer sought. I do not know what Treesy's data is
used for nor do I care.

"Harlan Grove" wrote in message
"Dave Thomas" wrote...
Are you assuming there are no negative numbers? Treesy doesn't state that
there aren't. Treesy just wanted to eliminate 0's and blanks.

Name a physical, financial or not entirely esoteric process that could
produce positive and negative values but not zero values. The point is
that if a set of numbers can include positive and negative values, they
very likely could also contain legitimate zero values that shouldn't be
ignored.

As for blanks, they're always ignored unless you mean "" and are
(mis)using AVERAGEA instead of AVERAGE or are averaging values through an
external reference to a closed workbook.