Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
OssieMac OssieMac is offline

Default Counting/Matching

The easiest way to do this is with AutoFilter and use subtotal function with
count . Lookup both in help. I find when using autofilter and subtotal,
placing the column headers down a few rows say row 5 and freezing panes so
the first 5 rows including the column headers are always displayed. You can
then place subtotal function above the column headers and they are always
visible. You then have only to set the filter to the required date and you
have your counts.

Note if you use the method described above, you may have select the column
headers before applying autofilter to ensure they set correctly.

Regards,

OssieMac

"Anna" wrote:

I have three columns of data: date, transaction code, quantity. A date can
have multiple rows of data

I need to count the number of rows (transactions) there are per each date.