Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Thomas Dave Thomas is offline

Default help on averaging function

Yes. Assuming your data is in A1 thru A12 use an array formula:
=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A12<0,A1:A12,FALSE))
After entering the formula in the cell press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER
This formula creates an in memory array and replaces blanks and 0's with the
value false.
It puts any numbers in A1:A12 in the array. Then averages the numbers in the
array.
The average function ignores logical values.

"Treesy" wrote in message
Is there a way to not have a blank or zero value not be counted in an
average
function. Example:

I have a spreadsheet that has a year's worth of data. Currently, it is
only
filled in through June. At the very end, I want it to average some of the
data. The formula has 12 cells that I want averaged but if one of those
cells is blank or zero, I want it ignored. 6 of the 12 cells have data.
Right now, I want it to average the 6 cells that have data. Next month,
it
will average 7, so on and so forth. Right now, it is taking the 6 values
and
dividing by the 12 cells, even though 6 of them contain nothing. I guess
want the calculation to change as data is entered without having to change
the formula every month and add the new cell. Is this possible??