Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Thomas Dave Thomas is offline

Default average in excle - works in 2007 and prior - Address correction

"Dave Thomas" wrote in message
. net...
An AVERAGE function may help you. Example: A1:A100 contains the job titles
with duplicates, B1:B100 contains the salaries. You could put all of the
job
titles in column C starting with C1, just once, no duplicates, sort them
alphabetically. Then in column D1 put the formula
=AVERAGE(IF(C1=$A$1:$A$100,$B$1:$B$100)) and press CRTL+SHIFT+ENTER
to enter the formula as an array formula and drag the formula down so
that
there is formula in each cell in column D for every entry in column C.

wrote in message
ps.com...
I'm raking my brains...I have a table where column A has job titles,
column B has the salary. Column A has duplicate job titles, which is
OK, what I'm looking for is an average function that will give me the
average salary per job title. I know I could do this via a pivot
table but I was planning on using vlookup and/or average. I'm just
not getting the syntax correct. Any help?