Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Thomas Dave Thomas is offline

Default Problems with the Right & Find functions Second Look.

If you must remove all the spaces with trim you can change the formula to
=RIGHT(TRIM(A3),LEN(TRIM(A3))-FIND("-",TRIM(A3)))

"beginner here" wrote in message
I am having probems with combining both the right and the find function
command.

My formula is: =TRIM(RIGHT(A1,FIND("-",A1,1)-1))

Say in cell A1 to A3 I have the following combination of names.
A1=Steve-Caldog, A2=Tom-Jones,A3=April-Showers

My results are the following in B1 through B3:
B1=aldog
B2=nes
B3=owers

Now the formula I have kepted the same for all three examples above.

What am I doing wrong? In my situation, I can have any number of
combinations. I would like one formula so that I can see in all cases is
just the complete second name after the hypen.