Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom Peo Sjoblom is offline

Default Problems with the Right & Find functions

Use

=MID(TRIM(A1),FIND("-",TRIM(A1))+1,1024)

the RIGHT function does not work like that if you intend to return what's to
the right of the first hyphen

you can use RIGHT, but it is easier to use MID

=RIGHT(TRIM(A1),TRIM(LEN(A1))-FIND("-",TRIM(A1)))

Peo Sjoblom

"beginner here" wrote in message
I am having probems with combining both the right and the find function
command.

My formula is: =TRIM(RIGHT(A1,FIND("-",A1,1)-1))

Say in cell A1 to A3 I have the following combination of names.
A1=Steve-Caldog, A2=Tom-Jones,A3=April-Showers

My results are the following in B1 through B3:
B1=aldog
B2=nes
B3=owers

Now the formula I have kepted the same for all three examples above.

What am I doing wrong? In my situation, I can have any number of
combinations. I would like one formula so that I can see in all cases is
just the complete second name after the hypen.