Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom Peo Sjoblom is offline

Default Correction to original post.

AVERAGEIF is only for Excel 2007

Peo Sjoblom

"Dave Thomas" wrote in message
. net...
The addresses in columns A and B have to be absolute.

An AVERAGEIF function may help you. Example: A1:A100 contains the job
titles
with duplicates, B1:B100 contains the salaries. You could put all of the
job
titles in column C starting with C1, just once, no duplicates, sort them
alphabetically. Then in column D1 put the formula
=AVERAGEIF($A$1:$A$100,C1,$B$1:$B$100) and drag the formula down so that
there is a
formula in each cell in column D for every entry in column C. You will get
"Formula omits adjacent cells error" for the formulas. Just clear the
error
as it's meaningless in this case.

"Dave Thomas" wrote in message
et...
An AVERAGEIF function may help you. Example: A1:A100 contains the job
titles with duplicates, B1:B100 contains the salaries. You could put all
of the job titles in column C starting with C1, just once, no duplicates,
sort them alphabetically. Then in column D1 put the formula
=AVERAGEIF(A1:A100,C1,B1:B100) and drag the formula down so that there is
a formula in each cell in column D for every entry in column C. You will
get a "Formula omits adjacent cells error" for the formulas. Just clear
the error as it's meaningless in this case.
.

wrote in message
ps.com...
I'm raking my brains...I have a table where column A has job titles,
column B has the salary. Column A has duplicate job titles, which is
OK, what I'm looking for is an average function that will give me the
average salary per job title. I know I could do this via a pivot
table but I was planning on using vlookup and/or average. I'm just
not getting the syntax correct. Any help?