Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom Peo Sjoblom is offline

Default SUMIF Value error

Yes it does but sumproduct can do what you want, post the formula you have
when the source files are open, since Excel will put the path when it is
closed it is easier (less to type etc. for us to help you

For instance

=SUMIF(A2:A1000,C2,B2:B1000)

will sum B when A equals the value in C2

the equivalent using SUMPRODUCT would look like

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A1000=C2),B2:B1000)

and it will work when the source book is closed, the drawback is that it is
slower than SUMIF
since it is a de facto array formula albeit not entered as one

Peo Sjoblom

"Margie" wrote in message
do you know if excel 2007 still requires that the source file be open?

"Margie" wrote:

thanks for the information; doesn't make me happy, but it explains it
anyway.

"bj" wrote:

Sumif needs to have the external file open, as does countif and several
other
functions. I do not have a list of all of the which need to have the
other
file open.

"Margie" wrote:

getting #Value error in cell if source file isn't open when using
SUMIF
formula. Once file is opened the correct $$/amounts appear and there
are no
errors. why am i getting value errors using this formula??? see
example of
formula i am questioning below.

=SUMIF('R:\Signature\ATB\atb seq 23
Jun07.xls'!TB,Payors!C17,'R:\Signature\ATB\atb seq 23
Jun07.xls'!TBTL)+SUMIF('R:\Signature\ATB\atb seq 23
Jun07.xls'!TB,Payors!C23,'R:\Signature\ATB\atb seq 23
Jun07.xls'!TBTL)