Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Toppers Toppers is offline

Default how to sort a column of Randomly selected numbers?

If data is in Column C:

=SMALL($C$1:$C$10,ROW())

Copy down

"Khoshravan" wrote:

I have a column of numbers and want to choose some of them by random. First,
I generate a coulmn of random numbers by RAND function and in next column
select from them by following command:
INDEX($A$1:INDIRECT(C$72),RANK($B1,$B$1:INDIRECT(C $73)))
Now I want to sort these numbers (last column), let say Ascending. How can I
do this?
I am looking for a function or series of functions to perform sorting in a
different column without using Excel-built-in Sort commnad. The reason is
that, sort command doesn't work with randomly generated numbers, because each
time I try to use SORT command, Excel tries to regenerate them.
One poor solution is to copy/special paste (only values) the random numbers
and then use SORT command, but in this way I miss the regeneration function
of random numbers.
Any help is welcome
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar