Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
[email protected] krcowen@aol.com is offline

Default Sum many unconnected cells

Pam

If the cell immediately to the left of the cells you want to total is
always "SALES TAX" and you want to add up all the number to the right
of every instance of "SALES TAX", that would be a pattern; and, the
following array formula should work:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(OFFSET(B1:E12,0,-1)="SALES TAX")*IF(ISNUMBER(B1:E12),
(B1:E12),0))

enter this as an array function (shift-control-enter) with the B1:E12
replaced by the appropriate range. Your range can't include column A,
since you can't offset that one column to the left. Of course you
can't have any numbers in column A that are required in your total,
since they can't have "SALES TAX" in the column to the left. So, that
should not be a problem.

I really think this should work, but, I I really think it should not
replace a redesign of your spreadsheet so that you don't have to
resort this kind of formula to get your totals.

Good luck

Ken
Norfolk, Va

On Jul 13, 1:44 pm, Pam M wrote:
They are not in a pattern, however the cell to the immediate left is labeled
SalesTax. There are so many, manual selection would be nearly impossible.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
Is there any indications in adjacent cells that these are sales tax or are
they located in a certain pattern like every 5th cell or so? If not then
there is no other way than to type

=SUM(

then select the cells manually by holding down the ctrl key and select each
cell one by one

Peo Sjoblom

"Pam M" wrote in message
Would anyone know of an easy way to sum a large quantity of unconnected
cells
within a worksheet? The worksheet is on one sheet. We have it broken
down
into many sections within the spreadsheet and each section has a cell that
calculates salestax. I want to sum all of the cells that have salestax
into
one cell on another worksheet. Thanks!- Hide quoted text -