Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Harlan Grove[_2_] Harlan Grove[_2_] is offline

Default excel: count uppercase letters in a cell

"Leo Heuser" wrote...
"how to count uppercase letters in a cell"
Unquote

And where did s/he mention, that the cells would include ANYTHING ELSE but
letters?

OK, classic semantic games. OP didn't actually mention whether there'd ever
be ANYTHING in these cells, just asked how to count particular things if
they were there. We could then assume there'd ever be only upper case
letters, in which case =LEN(A1) would have been the obvious answer. Why
didn't you post that?

That's YOUR interpretation. MINE is, that the OP is talking about strings
of
letters. That's what I tested for, and my formula works under that
condition.

Foolish interpretation then. But only the OP could confirm that.

Sure, and my formula will work everywhere without any additional editing
whatsoever.

As long as your extremely naive 'interpretation' holds. But if the even more
obvious interpretation that the OP only cares about English letters, your
post was irrelevant. OTOH, since you obviously meant your post as a
generalization, yours was an extremely narrow generalization - handles
languages using accented Latin characters as long as strings contain only
letters. Not particularly robust as generalizations go.