Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Leo Heuser Leo Heuser is offline

Default excel: count uppercase letters in a cell

"Harlan Grove" skrev i en meddelelse
"Leo Heuser" wrote...
Contrary to the other suggestions, here's one that works for
all characters not only the characters of the English alphabet <bg

=SUMPRODUCT((CODE(MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A 1))),1))=
CODE(UPPER((MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1 )))))+0)

You might want to consider testing before you post. And maybe reading OPs
CAREFULLY. Where, Oh Great Internationalizer, did the OP mention that the
cells s/he would be checking would include ONLY letters? Or do you have
such feable grasp of how UPPER works that you're ignorant of the fact that
it returns the same character for NON-LETTERS?

"how to count uppercase letters in a cell"
Unquote

And where did s/he mention, that the cells would include ANYTHING ELSE but
letters?
That's YOUR interpretation. MINE is, that the OP is talking about strings of
letters. That's what I tested for, and my formula works under that
condition.

The brute force approach I showed is at least easily adapted to include
any letters one would care to check. Why, even you should be able to
figure out how to adapt it without screwing up.

Sure, and my formula will work everywhere without any additional editing
whatsoever.