Myrna Larson

If these cells are all in the same column(s), and it's a text file (extension
txt, not csv), so the Import Wizard comes up when you open the file, you can
specify that this column is to be treated as text.

BUT... how did you export? Did you look at the file with Notepad to be sure
the leading 0's were exported?

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 07:19:05 -0800, "Ron Swinehart" <Ron
wrote:

When importing or pasting a number with a leading zero, (05003230) Excel
automatically formats it as a number and loses the leading zero (5003230). I
do not want to have to manually format the appropriate cells prior to the
import, since I do not know where they will be located.

I tried to add a single-quote character as the first character of the
exported number ('05003230), hoping Excel would format that cell as text,
but instead Excel left the quote as part of the data in the cell.

Is there any way to tell Excel not to drop leading zeros in these cells?