MXC

Thanks Max! Works perfect---even with multiple columns of data.

"Max" wrote:

One guess and a quick play to try ..

Assuming the sample data is in col A, A1 down
and is representative (i.e. 3 numerics before the alphas)

Put in B1: =LEFT(TRIM(A1),3)
Copy B1 down

Now select cols A and B,
do a Data Sort (Sort by *col B*) Ascending OK

You'll get the desired? sort order in col A:

110
110LEG
115
115SAP
117LEG
117
120

--
Rgds
Max
"MXC" wrote in message
I have a set of data with multiple columns (4). I need to sort my data by
one of the columns which contains both numbers and alpha-numeric
characters---but the cells are formatted as "Text". When I do a sort,
Excel's default is to sort from left to right and it puts all of my

numbers
at the top with the alpha-numeric entries at the bottom. Is there a way

that
I can sort my data so it doesn't do this? Example below:

Column to be sorted:
110
115
110LEG
115SAP
120
117LEG
117

When using Excel's Sort function it comes out like this:
110
115
117
120